Friday 6 September 2013

A great way to stop junk mail


The other day, upon returning home from work, my girlfriend opened our mail box to find several items laying in wait for us. As a change to the usual bills and bank statements which usually fill our mail box, many of these items appeared to be religious material.

Now, our mailbox has a sticker on its face which clearly states that no junk mail (which I consider unaddressed religious materials to be) should be delivered to our address. Slightly perplexed as to how the material was still getting through, I decided to write an email to Australia Post to find out if there is anything further that we can do to stop receiving the unaddressed items. Their response, the reason for this post, was brilliant and genuinely put a smile on my face despite the ludicrousness of their suggestion.

To: auspost@mailap.custhelp.com
From: #####@hotmail.com
Subject: Unaddressed mail
Dear Sir or Madam
I would like to make an enquiry about how to stop junk mail at my address. I have a "No Junk Mail" notice on my letterbox, but I still get unaddressed mail from certain organisations including religious organisations.
Any information on how to stop this junk mail would be much appreciated
Thank you

To: #####@hotmail.com
From: auspost@mailap.custhelp.com
Subject: Re: Unaddressed mail
Dear Darren
Thank you for taking the time to contact us about the delivery of unwanted mail at your address.
By placing a "No Junk Mail" or "Addressed Mail Only" sign or sticker on your letter box indicates that you don't wish to receive catalogues and other unaddressed mail items. Our postal delivery officers are instructed not to deliver unaddressed mail to letterboxes with this signage.
Material deemed to be political, educational, religious or charitable is exempt from "No Junk Mail" signed letter boxes according to standards developed by the Australian Catalogue Association.
To avoid receiving such items in future, you would need to remove your letter box from the property, however this means that your mail cannot be delivered by Australia Post and instead returned to its senders.
I hope that this information has clarified the matter and been of some assistance. Please let me know if you have any further questions. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help you further.
Regards,
######
Australia Post Online Services Consultant

Yes, well I suppose getting rid of my letterbox would stop unwanted mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!